Thursday, June 10, 2010

Event Blog 2: Avatar in 3D

I would first like to say, that I feel 3D is a gimmick!.. For now.. Auto-stereoscopic 3D (doesn't require the viewer to wear glasses) is a different story however..but I'll save that for another time. The current Polarized 3D standard created by the large media corporations, I feel, is mainly due to their fear that all media is moving towards the Internet and portable devices.. The cinema as an 'event' to go and see.. is slowly but obviously dying.

Avatar was the first movie that I went to see which uses the semi new Polarized 3-D technology that is being rushed in to our local cinemas.

As many people agree. It was not what you expected in comparison to the ancient Anaglyphic 3D which used two different colored lenses in order to create a 3D perspective where images seemed to come off the screen. As apposed to the new 3D which creates the illusion of depth into the screen.. in my opinion it also seems to have a better color range and richer reproduction of colors than normal 2D cinema.

I have personally done a considerable amount of research into 3D Tech over the last few years (as I desire to produce a 3D VJ set one day). In my research I found that anaglyphic 3D only works if you have a completely pitch black environment, as anything that can be seen between yourself and the screen destroys the 3D effect. Although it is possible to create the same extruding effect with Polarized 3D the media industry have purposefully chosen to not pursue this path. I believe this is due to the fact that it works in a 'controlled' cinema environment but would not work as well in a home environment. As they are now selling 3D TVs for your home and there is a 3D television station up in America as of the last few months, it makes sense to work with the most diverse option.

However, right now. Let's get back to my thoughts on the on the movie. Firstly it is visually stunning! The reviews that it has gotten around the world are completely justified in that respect. However as my qualification is in film I tend to analyze movies on a different level to the average viewer, I cannot help but break down what I see from an art department, CG, production, editing and over all audiovisual perspective... which in many ways ruins films for me...

So my experience was that the storyline was incredibly weak! but I enjoyed it nonetheless...I really do get sick of the constant American undertones of war and excessive military they cram into every film they produce. Many people that have reviewed the film state that the plot is a direct rip of the story of Pocahontas. I found it to be extremely predictable, following the general plot of the majority of action and adventure stories that Hollywood produces each year. Good looking girl, good looking guy, happy ending, guy saves girl blah blah.. in this case guy is saved by girl but basically the same formula is rinsed over and over and over.

I think considering the number of sequels that have been coming out in the last few years. It's pretty obvious that Hollywood is running out of original concepts! It seems to me and I could be wrong, but they must have an incredibly large vault of categorized scripts... So my assumption is that they purposely 'ration' their ideas....release only a sprinkle of good films each year and top off the rest with crap. Maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment