Thursday, June 10, 2010

Event Blog 3: Guerilla Cinema

I feel that it's only fair that I can review my own event... : ) Once a week I put on a free documentary screening in Auckland City, it is completely illegal but I feel that this information needs to be shared with people. The only advertising I do is through my Facebook page called 'Guerilla Cinema'.

My aim is to get like minded people together, as I feel there are many things going on in the world around us that most people are not aware of.
For many years I've had a fascination with collecting documentaries, about anything you can possibly imagine, architecture, sustainability, eco housing, different methods of transportation, future technology, different religions and governments etc.. My collection has become cwazy large, I now have over 650 documentaries, most of which I have purchased myself.

I usually hold the screenings outside on a concrete wall on High Street (Auckland City), people bring couches, pillows, blankets and chairs to sit on, I gaffer up a white sheet on the side of the concrete wall, bring my projector, laptop and PA speakers, tap into some power from the nearby power box connected to the lighting around one of the trees ; ) Thanks Auckland City; and away we go!!

Using Facebook as my only point of connection to inform people about the screenings seems to be working very well, with an average turnout of at least 40 people per screening, and it always seem to be different people.

I was recently interviewed by an AUT University student doing a masters in journalism. He just asked what the motivation was for deciding to put these movies on for people in a public space. Considering that it is illegal to do so, as I do not have copyright permission for any of the material that I'm playing. . . My answer was simply that I am addicted to the rush I get from new information, another piece to the puzzle that is our crazy complex existence.. and I want to share that with other people..I hope that it's inspirational in some way. Holding it in a public setting puts the information into the realm of chance..the chance that a passer by will happen to hear a line or see and image that connects with their conciseness.. igniting a thought pattern they carry away with them into the night.. I dream of dominos.

No comments:

Post a Comment